Held every October, National Disability Employment Awareness Month celebrates the contributions of workers with disabilities and brings attention to the value of a diverse workforce.
Explore the Work|Life™ Narrative
For National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2019, Lifeworks will unveil: Work|Life™, a traveling exhibit that raises awareness and challenges perceptions about employment experiences for people with disabilities.
Through personal accounts, photographs, data, and design, Work|Life™ addresses the disproportionate rate of unemployment among people with disabilities by exposing barriers to inclusion and showing the value of a diverse workforce.
The Work|Life™ exhibit opening will take place on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at Securian Financial’s national headquarters located in St. Paul and will be onsite for public viewing through Friday, October 4, 2019. The exhibit will then travel to area businesses, including Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Ameriprise Financial, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, and Uponor.
“We are so excited to unveil the Work|Life™ exhibit at Securian Financial,” explains Lifeworks Disability Inclusion Consultant, Ashley Oolman. “Their willingness to learn and grow with us as we develop innovative ways to foster inclusion has provided meaningful and lasting change for our communities and the people we serve.”
To learn more about the traveling exhibit visit: lifeworks.org/worklifemn.
Become an Ally
You can foster inclusion in our communities. Help us remove barriers and ensure that all people are represented by taking the following action steps:
● Use person-first language. Emphasize the person, not the disability by using phrases such as “a person with” or “a person who has.”
● Include people with disabilities in conversations and social gatherings.
● Do not lower expectations or make assumptions about competence, character, or happiness based on ability.
● Stay informed on topics impacting people with disabilities.
● Share information about disabilities with family and friends.
● Reach out to Lifeworks Disability Inclusion Consultant, Ashley Oolman, to learn more about creating an inclusive workforce.