Personal Support and Respite services are governed by MN Statutes 245D.09. Under this statute is a requirement that all staff receive training at the time of hire as well as on an annual basis. These training requirements also have specific timelines in which training must be completed.
New Employee Orientation
Per MN Statute 245D.09, subdivision 4 and 4a, each new employee has to complete specific content during orientation. Each new employee must complete orientation prior to working with the person served.
Beginning July 1, 2017, the process for new employee orientation will be as follows:
- Once the employee has been cleared for employment by human resources, the new employee will receive training information from our training coordinator.
- This information will include an introduction to our online learning management system and an outline of the assigned courses.
- The new employee will complete the training online on a device of his/her own; at a public computer; or at Lifeworks in our learning lab during an orientation session arranged with the training coordinator.
- The new employee will complete the assigned training. When the training is complete, the service coordinator will have a phone conversation with the employee about the person’s CSSP Addendum and Individual Abuse Prevention Plan (IAPP) before releasing the employee to start working with the person.
- When this phone conversation is complete, the service coordinator will notify the authorized representative that the employee is ready to begin working with the person.
Beginning July 1, 2017, the annual training will be assigned throughout the year according to the last name of individuals served. November and December training groups will be combined each year. Employees in this training group are encouraged to complete their training in November to avoid the end-of-the-year crunch time. This rotation will continue year to year with the employee’s training window moving up two months each year.
Annual training notification will be communicated twice before commencement of the training. The first notification will be sent to the authorized representative in the month prior to beginning, so there is time to schedule training into each employee’s work week. Overtime is not allowed, even to complete annual training. Training and direct service hours may not exceed 40 hours/week per employee.
The second notification will be sent directly to each employee on the first day of the month in which the assigned training is due. This notification will inform the employees that the required trainings have been assigned in the online learning management system and that they have until the last day of the month to complete all required training.
Employees will be expected to complete all of the annual training assignments within the month that they are assigned. The employee will be suspended on the last day of the month if training is not complete. The authorized representative will need to work with the service coordinator to create a plan for the employee to complete the training before the employee is able to work again with the person served. Failure to complete the annual training could impact employment up to and including termination.
Which Month Will the Current Employee do Their Annual Training?
Simply locate the first letter of the last name of the person served – this is the month the employee will be assigned annual training.
July 2017 – A B C D E F
August 2017 – G H I J K L
September 2017 – M N O P
October 2017 – Q R S T
November/December 2017 – U V W X Y Z
January 2018 – A
February 2018 – B C
March 2018 – D E F
April 2018 – G H
May 2018 – I J K
June 2018 – L M N
July 2018 – O P Q
August 2018 – R S
September 2018 – T U V
October 2018 – W X Y Z
November/December 2018 – A B C
- If the employee works for a person with the last name Anderson, he or she will do annual training in January 2018
- If the employee works for a person with the last name Xiong, he or she will do the annual training in October 2018
- If the employee works for two people with the last names Johnson and Smith, he or she will do the annual training in May 2018
When Will New Employees Who Start Mid-Year Complete the Annual Training?
When a new employee is hired, the employee will complete 12 hours of training which will meet the annual training requirement for the year. However, in order to stay aligned with the annual training schedule, a new employee may do orientation and annual training in the same year.
For example, if the employee is hired in June and the annual training would not be assigned to that employee again until September the next year, the employee will complete both orientation and annual training in the year the person is hired to ensure the completion of annual training within 12 months, per Minnesota State Statute.
The training notices will be sent to the authorized representative and the employee to ensure all parties are aware of the requirements whenever an employee is assigned training.
If you have questions about training for Personal Support and Respite, please contact Mary Rosenbaum, Lifeworks training coordinator, at 651-365-3761 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the training department at email@example.com.