Position: Career Placement Counselor
Location: Mankato-Southern Minnesota Area
Hours: Full Time, exempt position, typically Monday through Friday; however, attendance at evening and weekend employment related supports may be required.
Hiring Range: $35,219 – $41,307/yr
Since 1965, Lifeworks Services Inc. has been a champion for inclusion. Lifeworks was founded by families who recognized the importance of advocacy and breaking down barriers for people with disabilities to be part of the community.
As an industry leader, Lifeworks continues our commitment to self-determined support, careers with competitive wages, and developing innovative opportunities that enhance everyday lives. Through services that provide choice and build community – as well as through partnerships with over 500 businesses – Lifeworks serves more than 3,000 Minnesotans with disabilities and their families each year.
Lifeworks Mankato team is seeking a full-time Career Placement Counselor to assist people with disabilities to discover their strengths and interests and support them to secure employment using an individualized approach to job development. This position serves the Mankato area and including surrounding areas. Daily travel within the service area is required. The Career Placement Counselor uses Customized Employment, Vocational Rehabilitation, or similar job development standards to facilitate job development for individuals. The successful candidate will be proactive in using a person-centered approach to help individuals define their employment strengths, needs, interests, and abilities. Incumbent will facilitate the process of personal discovery for clients and assist in the creation of standard and visual resumes.
• Facilitate job development using a variety of methods for individuals seeking employment; support development of individuals’ resumes in both standard and visual formats
• Navigate and ensure accuracy within a variety of systems and documents both within Lifeworks and external partners. Mange billable time and ensure billing is completed accurately and on time.
• Facilitate team meetings; including scheduling, organizing, and conducting planning meeting such as 45-day reviews, annual reviews and other internal and external collaborative meetings.
• Assist the individual, guardian, and support team to identify desired outcome; plan for service and supports to achieve outcome.
• Manage a fluid caseload of individuals in various stages of career development and collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure coordinated support for individuals.
• Other duties as assigned.
Two-year degree in career counseling, vocational counseling, human services or related field and a minimum of four years of related work experience in career planning or conducting assessments; or a combination of education and work experience to equal six years. Must meet Designated Coordinator qualifications.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills that quickly build rapport with people with disabilities and their interdisciplinary team
• Strong written, verbal, and phone communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, be organized, and take initiative in work objectives
• Commitment to person-centered service delivery; person-centered facilitation training and experience preferred
• Self-directed and motivated to help persons served define and attain their employment goals
• Be an engaged and involved member of their community; preference to be a member of community organizations such as Chamber of Commerce and other organized groups
• Must pass both a background study with the Department of Human Services and a physical examination indicating ability to perform the demands of the job.
• Have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable transportation to use for work driving purposes.
• Bachelor’s degree in career counseling, vocational counseling, human services or related field and a minimum of two years of related work experience.
• Experience with Customized Employment, Vocational Rehabilitation and other individualized job development standards.
Lifeworks offers a comprehensive benefits package:
• 10 paid holidays
• 18 days of PTO accrued in the first year
• Medical and dental insurance at a low cost
• 403b retirement plan with company match
• Tuition reimbursement program
Lifeworks Services is committed to hiring people from a variety of diverse cultures with diverse life experiences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status; genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Lifeworks Services is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage members of diverse groups to apply. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to