Position: Music Therapist
Location: Brooklyn Park, Eagan, Apple Valley
Lifeworks Services Inc. is a nonprofit organization that serves our community and people with disabilities as we live and work together. We have day program locations in Brooklyn Park, Bloomington, Eagan, Apple Valley, Mankato, and Hastings; community employment teams in Hennepin County and the East Metro Area; and serve over 1,700 families through fiscal services.
Lifeworks Eagan, Apple Valley, and Brooklyn Park locations are seeking a part-time, board certified Music Therapist to provide music therapy for people with disabilities in Community Inclusion and Enrichment programs and may include some one-to-one private sessions. This role primarily support individuals improving their health in several areas including cognitive functioning, motor skills, emotional development, social skills, and their quality of life. The music therapist will use both active and passive music experiences including song; dance; and listening, playing, performing, and discussing aspects of music to achieve treatment goals. The successful candidate will enjoy an autonomous position and working in a variety of settings. Collaborating with program teams to support individuals to attain goals is essential to this role.
Hours: (PT) 24 hours – Varied hours between 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Adapt existing or create new music therapy assessment instruments or procedures to meet individual clients’ needs.
- Analyze data to determine the effectiveness of specific treatments or therapy approaches.
- Assess client functioning levels, strengths, and areas of need regarding of perceptual, sensory, affective, communicative, musical, and other abilities.
- Design music therapy experiences to meet client’s goals and objectives.
- Establish the client’s goals or objectives for music therapy treatment while considering the client’s needs, capabilities, and interest.
- Structure music therapy sessions to achieve development in the areas of appropriate transitions; pacing; sequencing; energy level; or intensity of interpersonal interactions in accordance with treatment plans.
Skills and abilities:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of basic sign language
- Experience working with assistive technology
- Experience working with persons with Autism
- Ability to provide consultative direction to a variety of recipients
- Skills in decision making, problem solving, technology, and scheduling
- Strong organizational skills; ability to work on a variety of concurrent assignments; and demonstrated attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, psychology, education or related field. Master’s degree in Music Therapy preferred.
- Current board certification or pending certification to practice Music Therapy from the Certification Board for Music Therapists, including maintenance of Music Therapy Certification.
- Flexibility with a variable work schedule based on the customer’s needs.
- Personable and able to build collaborative relationships with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Previous work experience in human services and experience working with adults with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Candidate must complete and pass a background study; pass a physical and drug screen; have a valid driver’s license free of violation; proof of vehicle insurance; and reliable transportation for work driving purposes.
Lifeworks offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees.
- 10 paid holidays in calendar year
- 18 days of PTO accrued in the first year of employment
- Medical and dental insurance
- 403b retirement plan with company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
Lifeworks is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and other protections according to the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to