Position: Career Placement Counselor
Location: East Metro Area, St. Paul
Lifeworks Services Inc. is a nonprofit organization that serves our community and people with disabilities as we live and work together. We have day program locations in Brooklyn Park, Bloomington, Eagan, Apple Valley, Mankato, and Hastings; community employment teams in Hennepin County and the South and East metro areas; and serve over 1,700 families through fiscal services and in-home services.
Lifeworks East Metro Employment team is seeking a full-time Career Placement Counselor to assist people with disabilities to discover their strengths and interests, and support them to secure employment using an individualized approach to job development. This position serves the East metro area and is based out of the Lifeworks Administration office in Eagan. Daily travel within the service area is required. The Career Placement Counselor uses Customized Employment, Vocational Rehabilitation, or similar job development standards to facilitate job development for individuals. The successful candidate will be proactive in using a person-centered approach to help individuals define their employment strengths, needs, interests, and abilities. Incumbent will facilitate the process of personal discovery for clients and assist in the creation of standard and visual resumes.
Hours: Full Time, exempt position, typically Monday through Friday; however, attendance at evening functions and meetings may be required.
- Facilitate job development using a variety of methods for individuals seeking employment
- Support development of individuals’ resumes in both standard and visual formats
- Engage with individuals’ support teams through interviews, seeking information that supports and further defines the individuals’ career goals.
- Support individuals to develop interview skills and assist securing interview appointments.
- Write career plans that outline each individual’s career goals.
- Manage a fluid caseload of individuals in various stages of career development and collaborate with other employment team members to ensure coordinated supports for individuals.
A bachelor’s degree in career counseling, vocational counseling, human services or related field and a minimum of one year of work experience in career planning or conducting assessments; or an associate degree in human services or a related field and three years of work experience; or a combination of education and work experience to equal five years.
- Engaging interpersonal skills which build rapport with people with disabilities and their support teams.
- Commitment to person-centered service delivery; person-centered facilitation training and experience preferred; self-directed and motivated to help people with disabilities to define and attain their employment goals.
- Must be comfortable working independently in the field and using remote communication using phone, text and email.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and deadlines; ability to work on multiple projects with changing priorities.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Excel, Outlook, Work and SharePoint, in addition to introductory data base applications.
- Candidate must pass a background study and driving record check; physical and drug screen; a valid driver’s license; proof of motor vehicle insurance; and access to a reliable vehicle for work driving purposes.
- Experience with Customized Employment, Vocational Rehabilitation and other individualized job development standards.
- Engaged and involved member of the community; memberships with community organizations, such as Chamber of Commerce or similar groups preferred.
- Experience supporting people with Autism.
Lifeworks offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 10 paid holidays
- 18 days of PTO accrued in the first year
- Medical and dental insurance at a low cost
- 403b retirement plan with company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
Lifeworks is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin and any other protections under federal and state laws.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to